Sunday, July 24, 2011

Eleven.

The birthday surprise was everything a surprise is cracked up to be. And more.
Addy and I left Wednesday morning (only 45 minutes behind schedule!) to drive down to NJ. Because of school, Pete had to stay behind. The actual plans for where we would meet who and when were still up in the air, since so much depends on traffic. I did hit a bit of traffic, so instead of meeting Julie (and Chloe) at her house, we went directly to the salon where Julie was getting a trim, and I had snagged the appointment after hers. We walked in as Julie was paying for her cut, and I walked over to Chloe and said "Hi. I'm going to need a babysitter while I get my hair cut." It took Chloe a couple of seconds to look up and have surprise spread across her face. Addy immediately lunged into her arms, and they shared a long, 30 second hug. Addy never lifted her head from Chloe's shoulder, and Chloe's eyes welled up a bit. And I thought, "this is what being a mother is." Watching my girls hold each other, rocking and smiling. Erasing the past few weeks of separation with a hug. I didn't have my camera to capture the moment, but it's not one I'm going to forget for a while.
Chloe turned eleven this week. Eleven.
 Birthday Brunch - Coolata and Donuts.

Chloe spent the first half of her birthday with my sister Jessica, crafting games for the evening's party (Jess had to work in the evening, so she reserved the morning with Chloe). Then Chloe and I went with Julie and Kati for a birthday pedicure.
Birthday toes. Any guesses on Chloe's favorite color?

Chloe requested Kip's homemade Fettucini Alfredo for dinner, and ice cream cake. Dinner (and dessert) did not disappoint!
 Birthday rules: no one can eat their cake until the birthday person has taken their first bite. Enjoy your power for one day.

One of the best parts of visiting New Jersey - the constant supply of baby animals to play with. In the winter, it was horses, and this time was puppies.

 I decided the picture on the left looks like an add. Probably for clothing. Maybe Abercrombie and Fitch Kids?


Dog Whisperer? Eat your heart out, Cesar Milan.
 Sit.
Stay.

Another awesome part of NJ? The "grandchildren's sink." It's the sink my mom had put in when they remodeled the kitchen, so that the grandchildren would have their own, size appropriate place to wash hands. Each visit, Addy gets closer and closer to being able to reach.
This time, we also worked on mastering the trash can.

Then it was time to head back north. Chloe stayed behind in NJ; summer time means endless horseback riding, interrupted only by oppressive 100-degree heat waves. 

We missed this guy.

It's blueberry picking season. We're ready.

0 comments:

Post a Comment